Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sorry Is Sometimes Hard To Say-Really Is It

You know, I may be weird (just ask anyone!) but I have never fully understood why people say that sorry is sometimes hard to say.

While I don't like to admit I'm wrong I find it easier to say I'm sorry, than to pretend that I didn't screw up and try to move on.

To me, it takes an awful lot of work to try to get over the feelings of guilt I get when I know I'm wrong.

Sorry is sometimes hard to say and can be humbling, but in the long run I find it kind of therapeutic.

I don't have to "pretend" I wasn't wrong when I know darn well I was. It takes a lot more effort to pretend that I wasn't wrong than to just come out and offer a sincere apology.

Another thing I have noticed is the fact that people seem to be afraid to apologize because they think it will make them look weak.

Or they sometimes think that the other person doesn't really know that they've screwed up and if they admit they messed up, by apologizing, the other person will get mad.

That may be true but in my experience the people I know seem to really respect me when I stood up and admitted my mistake and apologized.

See, I don't view an apology as a sign of weakness, quite the opposite in fact. It takes a heck of a lot of guts to admit to yourself, let alone someone else, that you made a mistake.

I think that kind of courage is a sign of strength, more strength than most people seem to have.

Anyone worth their salt should admire and respect you for having the strength and courage to admit that you made a mistake.

And truthfully, if they don't, maybe they aren't someone worth your time anyway.

If a person doesn't really respect the fact that it was tough for you to admit you were wrong and admire you for doing it anyway, they may have some character flaws themselves.

If you find it ridiculously difficult to apologize, you should probably take a long look at the type of person you are.

More than likely, if you're strong enough to admit it, you will find that you have some fairly bad character traits.

Not being willing to learn from your mistakes, admit them and apologize for them probably makes you a very insecure and difficult person to be around.

It may be time for you to make some changes. It may not even be as difficult as you think it will be.

When I was younger I had a very hard time apologizing and admitting I was wrong. And it took time to change.

But I can tell you that when I matured enough to be able to admit being wrong and apologize it really was freeing and it really did make life easier for me and those around me.

So today I don't feel that sorry is sometimes hard to say, I actually find it kind of liberating to not have to always feel the need to be right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment